I’ve been falsely accused of stealing a company vehicle and am now being questioned by the authorities, what can I do?

I work live, and work at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park. On 07/16/10 a resort golf cart was stolen. Apparently someone attempted to drive it down a dangerous path and got it stuck. The next day I was questioned by 3 NPS officers. One of them claimed that there were witnesses that saw me there that night. However, I have a credible alibi for the entire day. It’s been only a week and I’ve already been visited by NPS 4 times. I already gave them my statement but they’re still questioning me. One of the rangers tone and language is making me feel harassed.

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are in a National Park and being questioned by their rangers and not the police.  But I can not imagine that your Constitutional rights are any less important.  If they come by again quite nicely state that you have already given your statement and told them your whereabouts for the time of the crime.  You may want to consult with an attorney in your area. And if they continue to come back then say that if they would like to talk to you any more that they will have to do so in the presence of your attorney.  You may need a little muscle to get them off your back.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.