What to do if I’ve been divorced for 6 years but my name is still on a credit account with my ex-wife?

I’m told the only way my name can be removed is to pay off the balance which is $1700. I’ve contacted the bank on 2 occasions and this is the answer I receive. Is there anything else I can do? This account appears on my credit report.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

How was this account addressed in the divorce settlement between you?  Was the credit card to be paid off by one of you and then closed?  That will be the key to determining how to handle the situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.