Do I have to pay for repairs that were not properly made to my car?

I took my car to a repair shop 3 weeks ago and a week later I picked up my car and paid them $630 for repairs. The car was not fixed and they have not yet taken the money out of my account. Can I keep the money? I’ve called them several times about it and they’ve told me the money should have been taken out. I don’t want them running my card again.

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Business Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If they did not due the repairs that thy were supposed to, there are several grounds under which you would not have to pay some or all (the amount depends on whether they did anything they were supposed to) of the money, such as breach of contract (they didn't do what they agreed to), negligence (they were unprofessiaonlly careless), or fraud (the lied about what they would or could do). You could tell your card issuer to not authorize the charge; however, if the issuer does conclude that they have to let it go through (the repair shop claims they did the work and you're just trying to get out of paying, for example), you'd have to then sue, such as in small claims court, to get the money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.