If I took my necklace into a business that repairs necklaces but they damaged it even more, do I write the address of the business and the person handling my necklace or the registered owner of the business?

I want to file small claims suit.

Asked on February 8, 2016 under Business Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could and should sue both the person who did the damage and the business as well--both could be liable (the person who did the damage for causing it, if he/she did so negligently, or carelessly; and the business because its employee damaged your property in the course of his/her employment). By suing both, you increase your chance of recovering money; let them try to each prove they are not liable, if they can.
In terms of the business: if it is a sole proprietorship, you sue the owner personally. If it is an LLC or a corporation, you sue the businesss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.