What to do if I took in my iPod for repair but they scratched it and now they won’t fix it?

Do I have any rights to get my iPod fixed because their negligence ruined it? It was in a mall run by a sole proprietor. I don’t know what to do?

Asked on July 20, 2014 under Business Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if a repairshop, etc. negligently (carelessly) damages your property while it's in their care, they are liable (financially responsible) for the damage, and you could sue them to get the money (such as the value of your iPod) if they won't voluntarily compensate you. For smaller amounts, you may wish to sue in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, to keep costs to a minimum (typically, $25 - $50 for the filing fee, plus your time).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.