If I took a loan out for a friend who did not qualify and she has defaulted on the loan resulting in a judgement against me, do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may but it will depend on if you can prove the "contract" between you.  I am assuming here that the agreement was not in writing, correct?  You are going to have prove evidence of the debt and her acceptance of repayment (her making the payments could be that).  Also the reason behind the contract matters as certain contract must be in writing to be valid under a law known as the statute of frauds.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.