If my 19 year old daughter is under our insurance as a driver but owns her own car (is on the title and registration0 and causes a serious accident, could my husband or I be sued?

My husband and I hold full coverage insurance and we add her car to it and she listed as the driver. I never want to be put in a position where we would get sued because it’s our car insurance. Should I get her own policy? If the other party lets say exhausts all ins money’s who do they go after? I want to protect myself. I don’t want any responsibility for my adult child. Is there a loop hole where “if that was the case”?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Accident Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable for your daughter to have a separate auto insurance policy because if she is at fault in an accident and the insurance policy limits are insufficient to settle the case, the party who was not at fault could sue your daughter, you and your husband since it is your insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.