Wht to do if I think I may be the father of 3 year old twins and the current “father” has custody?

If I do a paternity test and they turn out to be my children what type of custody would be available to me since he has current custody? The mother is currently in the process of trying to get custody of them right now.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were not married and you never asserted your rights in a paternity lawsuit and the children are 3 years old, you may have already lost your right to custody.  You need to inquire with a local family law attorney about the statute of limitations that would apply.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.