What to do about harrassment regarding an on-line “relationship”?

I texted a girl and told her that I was single, etc. and our conversations continued for a few days. She sent me nude/semi-nude pics and videos. We also chatted on skype. On Friday I told her I had a girlfriend and asked her to not text me again and to leave me alone. However, she continued to text me and now she is threatening to press charges for misrepresentaion and taking possession of her personal property via texts and e-mails. I have deleted all of her texts and deactivated my e-mail account. Can she really press charges? What can she do? What can I do?

Asked on November 10, 2012 under Personal Injury, Idaho


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At this point, there is not much she can do but continue to harass you.  You have not committed any crime so there are no charges that she can press.  She willingly sent you the photos and videos.  I would suggest the first thing you do is change your phone number so she can not continue to text you.  If she continues to harass you, you can file for an order or protection or injunction against harassment.  This is a lesson learned, you really should not be engaging in this type of activity if you truly have a girlfriend.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.