If I switched price tags, can they arrest me if they find evidence on the video surveillance?  

I was in a store and switched price tags on 2 items. One reg price $24, switched to $7.50, the other $17.99 switched to $5.50. I went to the cashier and the tags fell off. She looked into the garment and rang me up for the full price. When I saw I wasn’t getting it for the lower price, I told her I didn’t want it. She took it off. I paid for the other items I had. She kept the tags that fell off and called the security officer after I paid but didn’t say a word to me so I continued out the door and left. I’m 38 yrs old. This is my first time doing this. What are the consequences?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You attempted to steal from a store but luckily for you such did not happen since you did not actually receive in your possession the items that you tried to switch the price tags on.

Since you did not complete your theft, no crime per se was actually done with the exception of "attempted theft". However, from what you have written, the chances of you being charged with such seems remote.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.