What to do if I sustained a severe injury while at an outdoor concert?

I was at an outdoor concert (advertised as family friendly). There were security guards and signs clearly posted that stated no crowd surfing. During the show a crowd surfer fell on my head. He knocked me out, fractured my spine, and broke my teeth. There is no way to D the guy. Can the venue be held liable? I am in the military, so medical and wages are not an issue. I paid over $6K for a vacation I will not be able to go on that is non-refundable. I had to hire a nanny and a housekeeper because of my injuries. The venue is in one state, my residence is in another. Where should I hire an attorney?

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Personal Injury, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The venue is not liable--it did nothing wrong. You indicate that they had guards and also posted that crowd surfing was not allowed; in short, they took the reasonable steps to ensure patron safety that they would be expected to take. They are not liable because another patron (or patrons), someone not directly under their control, violated the rules and injured  you; they are not responsible for actions taken against their policies. If you could identify the crowd surfer or those surfing him, you could potentially sue them; however, in the absence of fault--something the venue did wrong--they are not liable. The mere fact that you were hurt at their property or location, without more, does not make them legally or financially responsible for your injury.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.