I sued a business in small claims and won. The business has since dissolved. Can I sue the owner personally?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Business Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a California attorney, and there are some questions of state law that vary, that could be important here.  And I'm not familiar with your case at all.  But, depending on how the business was organized, and how it was dissolved, you might be able to go after the owner as an individual.  You need to take this up with a lawyer in your area, because it's not a simple question at all.  One place you can find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

If the business was a partnership or a proprietorship (single owner), even if there was a business name it was always the individual owner(s) that was the real defendant in your small claims suit.  You may not even need a new lawsuit, in that case.  Otherwise, the details of how the defendant corporation or LLC was shut down become important, because if the owners (corporate shareholders or "members" of the LLC) got anything from the assets, you might be able to pursue that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.