If I stole $30 worth of merchandise from a store, what will happen?

Stupidest decision ever. I have pled but have no lawyer. My family really doesn’t have money to afford it. What do you think I will receive as a punishment? This is my first ever encounter with the law

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Prosecutors and judges are usually lighter on first time offenders.� If this is your first offense, then you are facing a probation (which usually comes with a fine, court costs, and maybe community service).� Some jurisdictions offer diversion programs where you can basically "earn" a dismissal of your case for performing certain programs.� If the prosecutor is offering any kind of jail time, then you need to request a court appointed attorney to help you.� If for some reason they won't appoint you an attorney, at least request a reset so that you can have an opportunity to visit with one in the jurisdiction where your case is pending.� You don't have to hire an attorney for full representation-- many attorneys will now offer free or very inexpensive consultations so that you can know what direction will be best for the facts of your case.� They can also tell you about any programs specific to your court that you may be eligible for.� Even a basic consultation can result in some information to help you make a more�informed decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.