What to do if I am owed a paycheck?

I started working on a trial period & was told after the trial period if I did well I’d be asked to fill out tax forms & I’d be paid more. They installed a program on my laptops that gave me access to legal records. I was getting paid for a few weeks and one payday I called and the guy said, I won’t be able to give you your check until next week. But then I got the same story. I stopped doing the work, called the office and I spoke with the lead crew chief who was the person who signed our previous checks. When I told her everything she said she was mailing a check that day. I never got it. I have receipts of the checks I got, emails nd texts. I even have a text message from the boss threatening me if I pursue getting the money I am owed.

Asked on September 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you are to be paid what you have earned on the scheduled pay days of your employer. Most companies pay twice a month on the 1st and 15th of the month.

In your situation your lack of a pay check is inexcusable. The threats by the boss is worse. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of labor law about your matter and/or make a complaint with the local department of labor about the absence of pay checks and the threat by your employer in a text message.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.