What are my rights if I started a new job as a sales channel manager but was let go only a week later for not meeting monthly sales goals?

My job duties consistent of sales weekly tech trainings and rid along. Owner expect 200K in sales a month, not impossible. However I was let go today for not producing the numbers I was expected to produce. Can they let me go for not producing the expected amount in 1week period? I was not given enough time to do so. What can I do? I left a great job for a potential growth and opportunity. Now I’m jobless.

Asked on October 27, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, what you describe is unfair, but legal, unless you had a written employment contract whose terms prevented you from being terminated at that time (e.g. it guaranteed you some initial trial or probationary period) or for that reason: in the absence of a written employment contract, you were an employee at will, and an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason--even for not meeting an impossible target, or a possible sales target in an impossible period of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.