I sold the house before we were married and used 50,000 from that house sale as a down payment on the house we bought after we were married am I entitled to that 50,000 back when we get divorced

I have the sales receipt from closing on
the house that I sold that was in my
name and I bought it with money I
inherited and I have the information on
the house that we bought showing where I
put that money down on this house

Asked on September 17, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, if you can prove that the funds that you put doww were separate proerty and you can trace them back to show that, then yes, you are entitled to those funds off the top of the sale of the house and prior to spitting the rest for distribution in the divorce action. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.