Wha to do if I sold my son a car and he had an accident before we transferred tile to his name?

I have the sales contract but the title was not transferred because my son is in another state and we had to be together to do the paperwork. I got a letter that I am being sued. Am I liable even though I sold the car. The insurance was still in my name also.

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you are liable for the accident if your son was at fault in the accident because you were the registered owner of the vehicle since title had not been transferred to your son.

You would be liable for the property damage to the other vehicle and the personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle.  It would be advisable to refer the matter to your auto insurance carrier and your insurance carrier will handle this for you.  Your auto insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.