What to do if I sold my motorcycle and 2 months later the guy who bought it T-boned a car wrecking the bike but I was held responsible for the towing costs?

A towing company was called to clear the accident, but I got stuck with the $1800 storage/tow bill for the bike. I just now noticed this after doing a credit check and realizing that they had sent me to collections for this storage/tow fee. I lost contact with the buyer a long time ago, is there anything I can do to get out of this without having to pay and possibly have this removed from my credit report since it has dropped drastically. I sold it 2 years ago.

Asked on June 9, 2014 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you transferred the title to the buyer prior to the sale and, more importantly at this point, can *prove* that you transferred the title, you would not be responsible for these bills; only the current owner, not owners, is responsible. They key then will be to prove that the motorcycle and been sold and was no longer transferred in your name. If you can find that evidence, provide it to the towing company or their collections agency.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.