What to do if I sold my car to a man a week ago and 4days after he came to my house demanding his money back?

Am I responsible for giving his money back? He came by and inspected/test drove the car the day before he actually bought it. The next day he showed up with cash in hand but again inspected it before he was ready to make the deal. Upon showing him the vehicle I told him of a problem with a circuit box behind the display (CD, heat, etc) that needs to be replaced, otherwise the radio does not work and the windshield wipers do not work without it. I also show him wires in the glove box to make the heat work in the mean time. I did not have a bill of sale; I just signed the title over. When he showed up, he did not bring the car or title with him.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Business Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are considering rescinding (cancelling) the sale of your vehicle to the buyer, you need to have him sign over the pink slip back to you and give it to you as well as date and sign a document where he agrees to return the car to you for a stated dollar amount.

Until this is done, hang onto your money. You do not want to have a situation where you have no car and no money. I suggest that you consult with an attorney who does contract work to help you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.