What can I do if I sold all my shares to my partner but my name is still on the business lease and the landlord refuses to sign the release form?

I sold all my shares last yearto my partners. I sign the shares transfer certificate, bill of sales (without notarizing it), and the Assignment & Assumption of License Agreement. The Assignment & Assumption of License Agreement stated that me and my partner transfer the lease space to the company “ABC”. Then my partner signed that he is 100% responsible for the company “ABC”. We signed this form at the landlord attorney and pay them a fee. The attorney give the form to my partner to give to the landlord to sign. My partner give to the landlord 4 months later and landlord refused to sign.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Business Law, New York


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Wihtout the LL consent, you can do nothing.  While you may still be liable to the LL, the new company would be liable to reimburse you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.