Do I have the legal right to repossession if I sold a mobile restaurant to a friend on terms and he resold it for a profit but still has not paid me?

He left a deposit, took possession and attempted to operate it. He then resold the unit for a profit but refuses to pay the balance owed to me. I know who he sold it to and where it is.

Asked on November 14, 2014 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not have a right to repossession unless there is a signed agreement between the two of you providing a security interest and right to reposses in the event of nonpayment or some other default. Without establishing a specific security interest, all you can do is sue for damages--i.e. you can sue to get the money he should have paid you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.