If I sold a car to a 17 year old, can the transaction be undone?

I thought that he was with his dad. It turns out the man was actually a friend of his dads. The kid’s mom called upset that he bought the car; saying she never gave permission. Apparently they took it to a mechanic and it needs a new head gasket. She wants to return the car for a full refund. I do not want the car back- as it will be harder to sell, and frankly don’t have the money to fix it. Am I legally obligated to refund it?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Business Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country since you sold the vehicle to a minor, he or she is not deemed legally capable of contracting and as such, you are required to accept the return of the car in exchange for the return of the money paid if the mother mandates that such be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.