What to do if I sold a car to someone in another state but they never registered it in their name and had an accident for which they were uninsured?

I submitted a vehicle transfer notification on the day of sale. I’ve now received a letter in the mail asking for my insurance information. In summary, I sold a car, buyer didn’t register, they had an accident 1,150 miles away, I’m being billed. I can’t force the person to change the title over. Am I still liable for damages?

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you are liable for the accident because you were the registered owner of the vehicle.  Refer the matter to your insurance company.  If the case is NOT settled with your insurance carrier, your only recourse would be to sue the purchaser of your car for negligence to recover the amount of any court judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.