What to do if I sold a car earlier this year and have just learned that the new owner never registered the vehicle and has been involved in an accident?

I neglected to make a copy of the signed title. The DMV still thinks I am the owner of this car.

Asked on August 25, 2014 under Accident Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to provide the DMV with any proof of sale, including proof from your insurance company of the cancellation of the policy, the copy of the ad, a copy of a check of the payment, any such other proof.  This is why it is always important to ensure the new owner has changed the title in a private sale like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.