What to do if I slipped on wet stairs at work?

The owner of the building knew there was a leak in the roof and nothing was done to notify all employees that the stairs were wet and to be cautious. I also found that the company I work for also knew about the leak and never did antything to warn us. While I didn’t get seriously hurt, I have muscle strain etc.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since you were injured at work, you can file a workers' compensation claim.  Your employer's human resources department should have the appropriate documents you will  need to file your claim.  You can receive compensation for your medical bills and pain and suffering.  Your employer will need to make reasonable accommodations for medical restrictions your doctor may require during the course of treatment for your injury.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since the owner knew of the leak, the owner may be liable; building owners are responsible to provide safe rental units and common areas, which are "fit for their intended purpose"--leaks which cause safety hazards can violate this obligation (which is called the "implied warranty of habitability") and result in liability. Your employer would not be liable unless the employer had control over that area (e.g. it was part of the space rented) and did not do anything; if it had no control, it would also generally have no responsibility.

A question is whether it is worthwhile to take any action: you can only recover your actual, unreimbursed medical costs, your lost wages, if any, and pain and suffering for serious, long last injuries--generally more than muscle strain. It may be that even if the building is liable, that you can't recover enough money to make a lawsuit worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.