If I slipped and fell on black ice in the parking lot at work, what legal rights do I have and what type of attorney should I get?

I shattered my elbow in several pieces and surgery was required with several months of rehab required.

Asked on March 11, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were working at the time, you will be limited to filing a claim for worker's compensation.  If not, you may have a personal injury claim against your employer.  It will depend upon whether having that ice there and/or failing to post a warning sign amounted to negligence by the employer.  Consult a personal injury attorney in that case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.