Can an employer change the terms of an employment agreement after it has gone into effect?

I signed on with a company 10 months ago to sell their products. The agreement was that I would make 30% commission in sales and would make 1 to 3% in sales off of each person I got to join under me. When I signed up there was no minimum in sales expected and my account would stay active as long as I logged into my back office. Well, they just posted a notice out that they are now requiring that all reps sell a minimum of $150 every 90 days, as well as log in once every 30 days. Failure to do so would close your account and any commissions you had from your down-line would be lost. Is this legal? Can they change the requirements on reps who signed up before the new terms went into effect?

Asked on August 6, 2014 under Business Law, Michigan


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, I would need to read the signed written agreement to understand the full impact of the contract. Second, on the assumption that there are no restrictions in the document, we would need to look at whether there was a simple scrivenor's error...or some level of "impossibility" to the terms of the agreement. In either case, this situation is ideal for mediation since there appears to be a "mis-communication" that needs to be resolved. Feel free to call an attorney of your choice for that initial free 30 minute telephone or email consultation.

Shawn Jackson California Business Development Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.