If I signed a contract for advertising but the publication keeps making mistakes and hasn’t followed through on promises made, is this grounds for cancellation of the contract?

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Business Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the publication for breach of contract.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) may be difficult to document because it would be lost revenue and you would have to establish that specific customers were lost if this is a new business.  If this is an established business, you may be able to recover lost revenue if customers were lost due to the mistakes in the ad.

If you decide to advertise with another publication and that publication charges more than the current publication which breached the contract, your damages would be the difference in the contract price between the former and new publication. You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by selecting a comparable publication for advertising and a similar type of ad.  If you were to select the most expensive publication you could find and/or had much larger, more expensive ad, you failed to mitigate damages and your damages will be reduced accordingly.  

Rescission (cancellation of the contract) would be applicable as an alternate remedy.  Rescission includes restitution which means that if you received anything under the contract, you would need to return it or its value to the publication.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.