What constitutes legally actionable contempt regarding visitation?

I signed a consent no contact order that my wife initally filed against me. In it I was to have physical custody of 1 child and every weekend visitation with the other. My wife took the other out of the country and, thus, denied me 4 weekends of visitation. Can my wife be cited with contempt? What would most likely be her punishment if so?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Contempt is defined as an act of deliberate disobedience or disregard for the laws, regulations, or decorum of a public authority, such as a court or legislative body. Contempt of court means interference with the proceeding.  And one can be brought to court on a motion for contempt for a violation of a court order.  You may indeed have the basis for a motion for contempt.  Generally courts throw the party in violation in jail or fine them.  The other remedies available are subject to your own state laws. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.