How to cancel a contract without incurring a penalty?

I signed a 60-month contract for voice and data fiber optic at my office. It’s been almost 18 months since then but I’m still out of fiber optic. No installation has been done to date; other companies install this same service in 3 to 4 months. Am I legally responsible for paying the cancellation fees (monthly amount * 60) or I have a way to get out of the contract without penalty?

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


Keith J. Kanouse / Kanouse & Walker, P.A.

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The agreemetn would have to be reviewed to see what it provides but I suggest you send them a notice of default and give them 30 days in whiuch to cure.  If they fail to cure, then you should be able to cancel without penalty and possibly sue them for any damages you have incurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.