I signed a 3 year independent sales representative agreement for a company in Texas

I live in Florida they made it sound like they would set up
appointments and I would go close a deal. instead they have me going
business to business trying to provide credit card processing. I am
on acutane for skin problems and can’t be in the direct sun walking
from place to place can I get out of this contract

Asked on May 8, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

What does that contract actually say? If it terms have been breached , then you can treat it as terminated. However, breaking this agreement based on what they "made it sound like" is not sufficient on its face. Again, the specific terms of the contract are what is at issue.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The issue isn't what they made it sound like--it's what does the contract say? You can get out of a contract IF the other side violates the contract in some material, or important way, but the violation must be a breach of the terms of the contract itself, not of discussions or understandings not reflected in the terms of the contract. So if they are violating the contract's actual terms, you should be able to treat it as terminated by their breach.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.