What to do if I signed a 1 year lease with a rental company for a condo and now I’ve received a letter from the HOA saying that I have 30 days to move?

No reason was given. I called the attorney from where the letter came from and they stated it’s because you have to buy the condos not rent them out. What are my options in this? Can they evict me? The HOA stated that they can’t even get in contact with the owner of the condo; he lives in Canada. What should I do?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they probably can evict you but at this point in time I would sit tight and wait and see what happens.  I would also go and start a court proceeding to pay the rent in to court rahter than to the rental company (which is whom I am assuming you are paying rent to) or wait until you are served with papers and then bring in the rental company as a third party in the proceeding.  I would ask the court that if you are forced to leave you be allowed a sufficient amount of time (30 days is too short) and that you be allowed to abate the rent (reduc it) to allow for moving expenses that you are going to incur.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.