What to do if I shoplifted an $80 item the other day and was spotted by an employee who took down my license plate number?

One of the employees saw me doing it. No one ever approached me about it but there were a crowd of employees watching me pay for my other items, and I used my credit card to pay. Also, as I was leaving one employee followed me to get my licence plate number. Whats going to happen now?

Asked on February 28, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The state of Pennsylvania characterizes this type of offense in two ways: movable and immovable property and misdemeanor and felony theft based upon the value of the item.  Movable property would be like the shoplifting you did. Here is how your is classified:

Misdemeanor in the Second Degree Theft. If the value of the property involved is more than $50, but less than $200, the offense constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree under Pennsylvania law. (18 Pa. Const. Stat. Ann. § 3903.) Conviction for a misdemeanor in the second degree in Pennsylvania can result in a sentence of two years of incarceration, and a fine of no more than $5,000. (§ 1103, § 1101.)

I would contact ana attorney as soon as you can about returning the article or making restitution but I would more importantly have some one in place because you are likely to be arrested.  Get help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.