If I served 3 weeks in a county jail for a DWI but haven’t reported to the probation officer in over a year, what are my option to get this off my back?

I decide to take the option of jjudicial deferment because it was my first time being arrested.

Asked on October 20, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You really need to get with a criminal attorney as soon as possible.  There may already be a warrant out for your arrest for failing to report.  They can help you try to navigate back through the system and get back on track.  If you cannot afford an attorney, then you'll basically be at the mercy of the probation officer.  If you have a good excuse, then your probation office may be sympathetic and basically allow you to pick up where you left off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.