Can my employer terminate me and stop my FMLA after an accident?

I seriously injured myself at home and after using all of my sick and vacation leave, was put on FMLA. I have received 4 of my 12 weeks of short term disability. After a necessary MRI and a subsequent visit to the orthopedic surgeon, I was informed that I would need surgery and recovery time amounting to 4 months. After giving the requested documents stating this to the HR representative on the same day, I was told that I was probably going to be terminated and my position filled. Suddenly, my short term disability has stopped, and I show no documented FMLA on my employee portal. I was a model employee, and received employee of the month prior to my accident.

Asked on September 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The employer may not pre-emptively stop your FMLA leave because you have indicated that you will need significantly more time out of work than you can cover with PTO and FMLA. As long as you still have leave, you may use it. However, if at the end of leave, you do not return to work and do not have PTO to cover the continuing absence, they may terminate you then, since the law does not require an employer to retain an employee who cannot work when she does not have PTO or FMLA leave to cover the absence. Therefore, they appear to have jumped the gun, and you may have a legal claim against your employer you should contact your state department of labor to discuss the matter and possibly file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.