What to do if I sent my car in for repair 10 months ago and I just got a call saying that it is ready but they want me to pay $2700 in storage fees?

I never signed any contract with anything that had storage fees on it. I was no contact signed just my cash and the receipt from them. I have paid for everything they asked me to just to able to get my car way from them. Now do I have a legal right to sue them?

Asked on August 29, 2015 under Accident Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If there was no contract or agreement to pay storage fees, you should not have had to pay them while there is nothing illegal about storage charges, the customer has to have notice of them in advance and must agree either explicitly, such as in writing or implicitly, such as by going ahead and using the service despite knowing of the storage fee. If they charged you a fee to which you did not agree and of which you did not have advance notice, you may have grounds to sue them for breach of contract even if there was no written contract, the oral or verbal agreement or terms under which they did the work is considered a contract and/or for consumer fraud, in order to recover your money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.