What are my rights if I revealed to my supervisor that another employee was stalking me in a federal government car while I was on and off duty?

The person was sticking his tongue at me as in a sexual nature.I went out on workers comp do to exasperation of combat P.T.S.D. I won the case however I had to endure workplace harassment and retaliation for revealing this information. Do I have whistle blower protection for revealing this violation of rules?

Asked on October 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no whistle blower protection for revealing that a coworker is committing a personal tort e.g. stalking against you. If, as you imply, this was sexual harassment, then you may have a claim against your employer for retaliation the law prohibits an employer from retaliating or allowing co-workers to retaliate against an employee for raising a sexual harassment complaint. If this was the case--sexual harassment by a co-worker, and retaliation for complaining about it--you could either speak with an employment law attorney about possibly filing a lawsuit, or contact either the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency about bringing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.