If I’ve just had a judgement against me for default of mortgage, how long do I have before the sheriff show’s up with the padlock?

I do not intend on trying to stay in the home and just want to know typically how much more time I have to gather up the additional funds to relocate.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a judgment against you resulting from the foreclosure of your home, most likely the new owner which probably was the bank that held the forst trust deed will serve you with eviction papers giving you a certain period of time (usually thirty [30] days) to vacate.

In California, many banks hire real estate agents to list a foreclosed property where the real estate agent offers a set sum of money to the former homeowner to vacate the home in exchange for keys in a written agreement signed by the former owner. This may happen in your situation.

In the interim, I would start getting things ready for a move.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.