Ifthe house I’m renting doesn’t have a certificate of occupancy, is my lease still valid?

I’m trying to break my lease. Can I break it without ramifications if it was never registered with the city as a rental and has no Certificate of Occupancy?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Very likely you will be able to terminate your lease with your landlord without recourse if the rental you have is not registered in the municipality that it is located in as a legal rental.

To be sure, I suggest that you go down to the local rental registration office in the township you reside in to confirm that your municipality's ordinances mandating registering all rental would allow a tenant to end his or her lease in an unregistered rental without recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.