What to d if I rented a limo from a company for 6 hours but after only 20 minutes the limo broke down and now I can’t get a refund?

The owner agreed to send out a smaller limo but not for a couple hours and said he would not reimburse me for hours we were stranded even though I was paying by the hour.When I told him that we would not all fit,he then said it would take longer for him to get 2 limos and separate my party, and still would not reimburse for lost time.I told him that was not acceptable and that I wanted a refund of total amount and my party would find rides back to our cars.He told his driver that she could not give me cash back but he would write a check.We recorded driver saying that.The next day he said he never said that and that I signed a contract that said no refunds.

Asked on June 29, 2014 under Business Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Just because the document said "no refunds" does not mean that you are obligated to pay for something you did not get. What you need to do is to sue him fro breach of contract in Small Claims Court.  Bring your proof: payment and witnesses will be key.  The recording may not be admissible since the voices will not be able to be verified.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.