If I rented a house with pool and jacuzzibut they haven’t been fixed in the 4 months that I have lived here, canI get out of lease?

I rented a property for a year with a pool and jacuzzi but the rental agency hasn’t fixed the problems and Iam getting big electrical bills because of this; they’ve got machines running and cleaning the pool 24 hours a day but we can’t use the jacuzzi because it’s not hot at all. I got the place becouse of the jacuzzi and pool but it’s not fixed at all. Can they release me from the lease, lower the monthly rent or help pay the electrical bill to offset the cost?

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. The beginning of the answer to your question would be in the written lease agreement that you presumably signed for your rental. Read it carefully in that its terms set forth the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If the lease specifically mentions the pool and and the jacuzzi and you are unable to use what comes with the rental, you should be entitled to have the items repaired promptly by the landlord and if not, receive a reduction in the rent and electricity bills for the items.

You will not be able to be released from your lease, but you should be entitled to a reduction in your monthly rental. I would write your landlord about the situation and the need for a reduced rental until the problem is rectified.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.