I rent a place on a verbal agreement. The landlord verbally stated that she would never increase my rent. I have nothing in withing.

My rent is now being increased for the fourth time in ten years. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

you are what is considered a month to month tenant.  This means that your lease is up at the end of each month.  Therefore, the landlord is able to raise your rent each month if he wants.  If you pay it then that is the rent for that month.  If you fail to pay, the landlord may evict you.  Unfortunately you do not have many options.  However, to avoid this from happening in the future i would request that your landlord provide you with a written lease or at lease.  If he refuses, they you should consider moving as the landlord is going keep increasing the rent and taking advantage of you becasue he knows that it is more expensive for you to have to move than pay 20-30 dollars more a month.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.