If I was incorrectly reported that I been arrested for a DWI, do I have any recourse against a newspaper?

I refused roadside sobriety tests so was handcuffed, taken to the police station, and blew a .05. Was then taken to the magistrate where it was deemed that there was “no probable cause” and I was released with a speeding ticket. I was never booked, fingerprinted, put in any sort of cell or anything. I just found out the newspaper reported me as arrested for speeding and DWI. Isn’t this slander? I was proven to be unintoxicated. Now every retiree in my local Bible belt community has read this. Do I have a reasonable legal recourse?

Asked on July 5, 2014 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally this is called defamation.  Specifically it is called "libel." Libel is a written or published defamatory statement.  Slander is the spoken word. A statement is defamatory if it tends to hold the plaintiff (the subject of the statement, who is bringing the lawsuit) up to scorn, hatred, ridicule, disgrace, or contempt, in the mind of any considerable and respectable segment of the community. The statement must be listed as a "fact" not an opinion, it must be published to a third party (no problem here) and you must have actual injuries: personal humiliation, shame, etc.  Speak with an attorney if this is the case.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.