What to do if I recieved a “notice to leave premesis” from my landlord yesterday and noticed it has the wrong address on it as well as the wrong dates?

What I need to know is, how long do I have to leave? She won’t answer my calls so that I can inform her of this mistake and get things straightened out.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you recently received a "notice to leave premises" from your lsandlord, you essentially have been served with a notice to terminate your lease by the landlord. Carefully read this document in that it most likely states the reasons why your landlord wants to end your lease.

Most termination notices give the tenant thirty (30) days from receipt to vacate and if the tenant has not vacated in that time period, the landlord usually files a lawsuit (unlawsful detainer action) to evict the tenant.

It is unfortunate that your landlord will not speak to you about the notice. I would write her about the situation mentioning your attempts to contact her keeping a copy of the letter for future reference.

I suggest that you also consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your circumstances.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.