What to do if I recieved a letter from a probate investigator telling me they have identified assets that were not inventoried in my husband’s final estate?

How do I find this out without using them, as they are asking a 15% finders fee? Could you just suggest a venue to pursue this?

Asked on February 6, 2016 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to check the unclaimed property section of your state's website.  Enter your husband's name under unclaimed property and you will see assets that were transferred to the state.  Your state's unclaimed property website will be able to provide you with this information and the forms you will need to claim those assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.