if I recently signed a 1 year lease on a condo and then after moving in I was informed the property was for sale, am I held accountable to have showings?

And for keeping a realtor lock on the door? Do I have any recourse to insure my one year lease or additional moving expenses?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

IF the owner (or his property manager--whomever you rented from) knew at the time you signed the lease that the property was for (or was about to be for) sale and did not disclose that fact, you would likely have grounds to void the lease without penalty for fraud and move out; you could also likely recover out-of-pocket costs (e.g. additional moving expenses) you incurred due to this failure to disclose a material fact. If the plan to sell was made subsequent to your leasing the property, however, you would likely have no grounds to void the lease or seek monetary compensation.

In any event you have to cooperate with efforts to sell (the owner has a right to show the premises), but do not need to allow anyone in the home but on proper notice (usually 24 hours or more) and at reasonable times--so the realtor and clients cannot simply enter at will. You are, after  all paying for posssession of the premises.

You have no right to block the sale. If anyone buys the property, they buy it subject to your lease (assuming you did not void it): that is, the buyer becomes your new landlord and the lease stays in effect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.