If I reported a robbery but one of the guys arrested wasn’t completely involved I don’t want him to be charged just the other guy, how do I go about dropping the charges?

Or if I decide not to go to court will they drop the charges against him?

Asked on June 10, 2014 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't make them drop the charges: the state (i.e. the government) is in charge of the case and will decide, based on the evidence, whether to bring charges or not. You can discuss the matter with them, but ultimately, they make the decision. If you do not appear for court if required to do so as a witness, you may be found in contempt of court and punished (e.g. imprisoned yourself). Do not try to thwart the justice system: again, you can share your wishes, thoughts, concerns, and the facts you know with the authorities, but you have to accept that once you report the crime, the outcome is out of your hands and the authorities will decide what to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.