If I recently received a summons for reckless driving by speed, what am I in for?

Will getting a lawyer really help me? The officer didn’t put a case number on the summons for me to look up on the courts website, does that mean anything?

Asked on November 20, 2013 under Accident Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The police officer isn't going to put a case number on there...but that might be an oversight. At this point you DO need an attorney because only an attorney who is experienced with criminal defense can help you either a) have the charge dismissed especially if this is your first offense or b) get the charges lowered or c) plea it down to allow for a form of delayed or alternative conviction so it doesn't stay on your record and qualifies you for expungement and d) ensure it doesn't count as a point or multiple points on your driving record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.