If I recently purchased a vehicle with considerable rear rust which wasn’t disclosed at time of purchase, do I have recourse?

My fiancé found the rust a few days after purchase and the dealer was notified. They first took it in and agreed to fix it. They did nothing stating that it had to go to their auto body shop in another state but it’s being repaired at the dealer where purchased. This seems like a UDAP violation and who do I contact?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under General Practice, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states a seller is required to disclose all matters with respect to an item to a potential buyer that is material as to price paid or desirability. The key with respect to your matter is whether the seller knew that there was rear rust on the vehicle when sold and if so, did he or she disclose such information before the sale?

Secondly, does the rust have a material aspect concerning price paid or desirability for the vehicle? In any event, for a potential UDAP violation, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law or your local department of motor vehicles.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.