What to do if I recently learned that the child support I have paid to my ex-wife for several years was calculated incorrectly?

The number of overnights was incorrect and it did not take into account that our other child is in my custody and she does not pay/provide any overnight care for him. The amount is substantial. Do I have any recourse in getting repayment of the funds?

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you sit down with your "ex" to go over your perceived credits due for overpayment for child support over the years and see if she is willing to agree with your calculations. If so, then you and she draw up a stipulation and order to that effect to be filed with the court where the child support order was issued.

If that option is not feasible, then you need to consult with a family law attorney to see what your legal options are as to your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.